Tuesday 8 January 2013

Spicy 3 Bean + Turkey Chili



I told you I would be sharing healthy recipes in the new year! This is one of them. I love chilli. It's hearty, comforting, delicious and most importantly, healthy. My mom made chili a lot when I was a child but it was always a vegetarian/vegan version. I started making my own recipe about three years ago. I always stick with turkey since it's a lean protein but you can use beef, chicken or omit the meat entirely and make a veggie chili.



I like to use at least two kinds of beans when I make this chili but this recipe obviously calls for three kinds of beans. I use black, kidney and pinto. I always use black and kidney but you can throw in whatever you like but try to at least use two different kinds. With the meat, I used 99% fat free turkey because I am trying to limit the fat. But you can use regular ground turkey if you aren't super concerned about the fat. Lastly, I use sriracha in this recipe for a bit of spice. I usually use about a tablespoon of chipotle but I didn't have any on hand. Either will work really well in this chili.

So let's get started. Here's what we need:


one onion diced
one pound ground turkey
three cans of beans, rinsed (black, kidney, pinto)
one can diced or crushed tomatoes
1/4 to 1/2 cup chicken broth
one tablespoon olive oil
one teaspoon dried oregano
one teaspoon chili powder
one teaspoon salt
two teaspoons cumin
few grinds of fresh black pepper
a squeeze or two or sriracha OR one tablespoon chipotle in adobo


Heat a medium sized saucepan/pot over medium high heat. When hot, add oil then immediately add diced onion. Season with half the salt and saute until translucent.


Add the meat and season with the remaining salt and the rest of the spices. Use a spoon to crumble the meat and cook until no longer pink.


Add the tomatoes and beans to the pot. Stir around then add the sriracha OR chipotle.


Add a splash or so of chicken broth until you get a saucy consistency. Let chili simmer on low for 30 minutes to allow the flavours to come together.


Serve in a bowl topped with a bit of cheese, sour cream avocado and crushed tortilla chips. All I had was cheese and sour cream :(. Enjoy!

Spicy 3 Bean + Turkey Chili

Ingredients

one onion diced
one pound ground turkey
three cans of beans, rinsed (black, kidney, pinto)
one can diced or crushed tomatoes
1/4 to 1/2 cup chicken broth
one tablespoon olive oil
one teaspoon dried oregano
one teaspoon chili powder
one teaspoon salt 
two teaspoons cumin
few grinds of fresh black pepper
a squeeze or two or sriracha OR one tablespoon chipotle in adobo

Instructions
1) Heat a medium sized saucepan/pot over medium high heat. When hot, add oil then immediately add diced onion. Season with half the salt and saute until translucent. 
2) Add the meat and season with the remaining salt and the rest of the spices. Use a spoon to crumble the meat and cook until no longer pink. 
3) Add the tomatoes and beans to the pot. Stir around then add the sriracha OR chipotle. 
4) Add a splash or so of chicken broth until you get a saucy consistency. Let chili simmer on low for 30 minutes to allow the flavours to come together. 
5) Serve in a bowl topped with a bit of cheese, sour cream avocado and crushed tortilla chips.



No comments:

Post a Comment