Sunday 22 July 2012

the BEST macaroni and cheese


Macaroni and cheese is probably my single favourite thing to eat.
I have loved macaroni for years and years and always pick it over the other sides on the table.
As my fellow Bermudians know, we eat tons of macaroni and it's just about everyone's favourite side.

That being said, not everyone can make amazing mac and cheese.
Some people make it with a tomato based sauce, some do a cream of mushroom and cheese base and others make a white (bechamel) sauce and add cheese to that.

I've tried all of these varieties and while they are pretty good, I always knew I could make better.
Enter this recipe.

I was watching Food Network's Best Thing I Ever Made show and it featured chef Sunny Anderson making spicy mac and cheese.
The recipe intrigued me so I had to find it and try it out.
I did and then added my own tweaks to make it my recipe.

The key to this mac and cheese and using a few different kinds of cheeses.
I use colby, monterey jack and sharp cheddar.
But you can find a mix that works for you.
It's better to buy the cheese and grate it yourself but I had to buy what I could find.
Also, there is so white sauce to make so it's a pretty quick an easy recipe to throw together in 20 minutes.
So let's go!

Here's what you need:

1 box macaroni
1 pint light cream
1 egg
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 tablespoons flour (not in the picture)
4 cups of cheese (monterey jack, colby and cheddar)
few grinds of fresh pepper
salt to taste
few grates of nutmeg
squeeze or two of sriracha



Boil a large pot of water and add macaroni and salt.

While the pasta is boiling, mix the remaining ingredients except cream and cheese.


Whisk together and then add cream.


Drain pasta then add cream mixture to the pot with the pasta.


Then add three cups of the cheeses, a mix of the three would work well.


Mix it all together then taste to see if there is enough salt.
You want there to be plenty salt.


Right now, I just want to eat it by the spoonful!
But I should probably let it bake :)

Next, pour it into a greased casserole dish.


Top with remaining cheese and put in a preheated 425 degree oven.


Bake until cheese is bubbly and brown, about 15 minutes or so.


Oh yea baby!

Do you see why I LOVE macaroni and cheese :)


Get a fork and enjoy!


The Best Macaroni and Cheese
1 box macaroni

1 pint light cream
1 egg
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 tablespoons flour (not in the picture)
4 cups of cheese (monterey jack, colby and cheddar)
few grinds of fresh pepper
salt to taste
few grates of nutmeg
squeeze  or two of sriracha


Instructions
1. Put a large pot of water on the stove and boil.
2. Add macaroni and salt
3. Meanwhile, mix remaining ingredients except cheeses and cream.
4. Whisk together and then add cream.
5. Drain pasta and return to pot.
6. Add cream mixture and three cups of cheese to the pot.
7. Stir together and taste.
8. Add more salt if needed.
9. Pour into a greased casserole dish.
10. Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven until cheese is bubbly and brown.
11. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment