Sunday 8 July 2012

vanilla salted caramel sauce


I've been hearing about salted caramel sauce for a while, but have always been terrified to attempt it.
As a baker, I should be able to make just about anything, but caramel has always scared me.
I've heard horror stories of sugar bubbling out and burning people or the mixture itself going from perfect to burnt in two seconds.
But today, I decided to tackle this amazing sauce!

As I mentioned, I bake for a cafe here in Bermuda, Ten Cafe and Bar.
Each week, I meet the manager to decide what I will bake.
A few weeks ago, I saw a recipe for salted caramel brownies on one of my favourite blogs, Baked Bree and knew they would be perfect for Ten.
So today, I had to try them out.
But first, I made a salted caramel sauce based on Bree's original salted caramel sauce, not the one included in the original brownie recipe.
I've tweaked it for my liking.

Here is the cast of characters.


1 1/2 cups of sugar
1/3 cup of water
1 cup of whipping/heavy cream (Bree calls for 1 1/2)
1 teaspoon of sea salt
1 teaspoon of vanilla

So let's get started.

Add salt to the cream.

Pour the sugar and water into a pot and bring to a boil over medium heat.

Let the sugar cook.



Don't stir the mixture, but you can swirl it around the pot until it reaches an amber colour, 350 on a candy thermometer (I didn't use one).

Once it gets to this point, you have to act quickly otherwise the mixture will burn.

Pour cream and salt mixture into the pot and turn off the heat.


It will bubble violently but continue to whisk.

The mixture might seize up but continue to stir.

Once it comes together, add the vanilla.


It will comes together into a beautiful, smooth caramel sauce.

Possibly the best caramel you've had!

Put in a jar or container and store in the fridge.

Or, be like me and eat it by the spoonful!

Enjoy!


Vanilla Salted Caramel Sauce
1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup water
1 cup whipping/heavy cream (Bree calls for 1 1/2)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

Instructions


1.
Add salt to the cream. 


2. Pour the sugar and water into a pot and bring to a boil over medium heat.

3. Let the sugar cook. 

4. Don't stir the mixture, but you can swirl it around the pot until it reaches an amber colour, 350 on a candy thermometer (I didn't use one).

5. Once it gets to this point, you have to act quickly otherwise the mixture will burn. 

6. Pour cream and salt mixture into the pot and turn off the heat. 

7. It will bubble violently but continue to whisk. 

8. The mixture might seize up but continue to stir. 

9. Once it comes together, add the vanilla. 

10. Put in a jar or container and store in the fridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment