Wednesday 11 July 2012

warm potato salad

So I have a confession to make.
I had a grand idea about warm potato salad, but the execution was horrible.
I love potato salad, classic potato salad to be exact.
For me, that means mayo, chopped eggs, peas and carrots with seasonings.
That's how we do it in Bermuda.

But because I love to recreate traditional recipes, I wanted to do something different.
The boy doesn't like mayo, but I really wanted to make a potato salad so I figured warm would be the way to go.
So I whipped out some olive oil, a lemon, chives, a clove of garlic, salt and pepper.
I whisked everything together then added some sriracha.
Then I thought it needed to be creamy so I added a bit of mayo.

Then I tasted it.
I had put far too much lemon and the flavour was just bad so I threw it out.
Then I started to panic because I had these boiled potatoes and no idea what to do with them.
But then, it came to me :)

We eat a lot of potatoes in the house and I like to mix it up every now and then.
I mean mashed potatoes are great and I could probably eat them everyday, but I shouldn't.

These have similar ingredients to mashed potatoes, but are much lighter.

So here's what we need.


A few grinds of fresh black pepper, a drzzle of olive, a tablespoon of chopped fresh chives, a teaspoon of sea salt, 10 to 12 small russets quarted (or four to five regular sized potatoes), a pat of butter and a splash of cream.


Wash the potatoes and quarter them.
If you are using larger potatoes, quarter each half.


Put them in a pot and cover with cold water.

Cover with a lid and boil over high heat until potatoes are tender.


Meanwhile, chop up about a tablespoon of fresh chives.

You can add any other herbs you have as well, I only had chives in the fridge.


Once the potatoes are tenders, drain them in a colander and return to pot.


Add the chives, drizzle of oil oil, few pats of butter, good splash of heavy cream and tons of cracked black pepper.

Add salt to taste.

Toss everything around with a spoon.


Put potatoes in a serving bowl and garnish with chives.

Enjoy!

Warm Potato Salad


drizzle of olive oil
splash of heavy cream
few pats of butter (maybe a tablespoon)
tablespoon chopped fresh chives
10 to 12 smal russet potatoes or four to five regular potatoes, quartered
cracked black pepper
sea salt

Instructions
1. Quarter potatoes, put in pot and cover with cold water, boil until tender.
2. Chop chives.
3. Once potatoes are cooked, drain in a colander and put back in pot.
4. Add all ingredients to the pot and toss.
5. Pour into serving bowl and enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment