Tuesday 28 August 2012

Amari's cookies



I call these Amari's cookies after my beautiful son, Amari.


He looks quite grumpy here but anyways, back to the cookies.

These cookies were actually an accident.
Last Sunday, I was craving chocolate chip cookies, a reoccuring thing for me.
I always have stuff in the house to bake so I headed to the kitchen and popped out a stick of butter to soften.
Once I started pulling everything together, I realised I had no brown sugar.
What was I to do?!
It was pouring rain so I had no desire to go to the store but I really wanted cookies.
So I figured I would use white sugar with my usual recipe and see how they turned out.
And they turned out soo good!
My normal recipe is based off Elizabeth Faulkner's, a pastry chef who comes on Food Network regularly.

The white sugar gave them a crackly-ness that brown sugar doesn't give to cookies.
They weren't incredibly gooey, but they were amazing and tasted quite similar to Pepperidge Farm Brussels cookies.

After I made them, Amari told me I couldn't give them to anyone except him.
He said I could have some if I wanted :)

So let's get started.
Here is what we need:


one stick softened butter, 1 1/4 cup sugar, one large egg, one teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract, one teaspoon salt, 1 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon baking powder, one cup chocolate chips, one cup white chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 350 then cream the butter and sugar for about two minutes, being careful not to overmix.


Add the egg, vanilla and salt, mixing until just combined.


Add the flour, baking soda and baking powder and mix on low until combined.


Finally, add the chocolate chips and mix on low until combined, this will take less than 10 seconds.


Doesn't that look soo good!
You know I licked the mixing thing and the bowl afterwards :)


Spray a cookie sheet with Pam and then scoop out dough using a cookie scoop or small ice cream scoop.
You can also use parchment paper to eliminate the Pam.

Bake for 15 minutes, rotating the pan after 7 minutes.


Let cool on cookie sheet for about a minute then move to a rack to cool completely.


Store in an airtight container and more importantly, enjoy!

Amari's Cookies

Ingredients
one stick of softened butter
1 1/4 cup of white sugar
one teaspoon vanilla bean pasta or vanilla extract
one large egg
one teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
one cup chocolate chips
one cup white chocolate chips

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350 then cream butter and sugar for two minutes.
2. Add egg, vanilla and salt and mix until just combined.
3. Stir in flour, baking soda and baking powder, mixing on low until combined.
4. Add chocolate chips and mix until combined, less than 10 seconds.
5. Spray a cookie sheet with Pam and using a cookie scoop, scoop out dough onto sheet, about 12 cookies at a time.
6. Bake for 15 minutes, rotating pan after 7 minutes.
7. Once baked, cool on cookie sheet for a minute then transfer to a wire rack until cooled.
8. Store in airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment