Wednesday 7 November 2012

Best Apple Cake Ever



It's finally getting cool here in Bermuda. Summer seems to be officially over which is such a wonderful thing. I was getting tired of the 80 plus degree weather. I feel that once middle to end of October comes, I should be able to wear a long sleeve shirt and not feel hot. Well today, I have on a cardigan and it feels awesome! There's a chill in the air and it's long overdue.

I know we don't have Fall here, but it feels like Fall so I want to eat Fall related foods. I love apples and anything appley gets me everything (unless there's chocolate, chocolate always wins). Growing up, my nana made pies - apple, pumpkin and lemon meringue. I would happily stuff my face with her apple pie every time she made it. I love my pie warm with ice cream on top. Apple pie/cake/turnovers/tarts always remind me of Fall.





I've been wanting to make another apple cake since the last one I made wasn't exactly what I was looking for. I googled apple cake and found a recipe that said it was the best apple cake ever. And I have to agree. It inhaled slice after slice and my family loved it as well. The flavour is very similar to apple pie and this cake was amazing. It's made in a bundt pan. I love bundt cakes. Something about them screams comfort. I didn't use a glaze on this, but next time I will make one using toasted pecans and some kind of caramel just for texture purposes. This cake would be perfect for your Thanksgiving dessert table.


Here's what we need:
1 1/3 cups vegetable oil
three cups flour
one tablespoon cinnamon
one teaspoon baking soda
one teaspoon salt
two cups sugar
three large eggs
three to four apples ( I used Granny Smith I think)
one teaspoon vanilla extract
one cup chopped assorted nuts (optional and I didn't use nuts)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees then combine dry ingredients in a bowl.


Peel, core and dice your apples then set aside.


Add the vegetable oil, sugar and eggs in a bowl, mixing with a mixer until pale yellow.


Add dry ingredients to the bowl, mixing until combined. My son is my baking assistant every single time I bake. He demands to turn on the mixer.


Add the apples and vanilla to the bowl, mixing with a spoon until combined. The batter will be very thick.


Spray a bundt pan with cooking spray and pour batter in. Bake for one hour to 75 minutes. Start testing the cake at one hour to avoid a dry cake. Cool in pan for 30 minutes then invert onto a plate.


Doesn't it look amazing? Enjoy!

Best Apple Cake Ever

Ingredients

1 1/3 cups vegetable oil
three cups flour
one tablespoon cinnamon
one teaspoon baking soda
one teaspoon salt
two cups sugar
three large eggs
three to four apples ( I used Granny Smith I think)
one teaspoon vanilla extract
one cup chopped assorted nuts (optional and I didn't use nuts)

Instructions
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees then combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
2) Peel, core and dice apples then set aside. 
3) Add the vegetable oil, sugar and eggs in a bowl, mixing with a mixer until pale yellow. 
4) Add dry ingredients to the bowl, mixing until combined. 
5) Add the apples and vanilla to the bowl, mixing with a spoon until combined. The batter will be very thick. 
6) Spray a bundt pan with cooking spray and pour batter in. 
7) Bake for one hour to 75 minutes. Start testing the cake at one hour to avoid a dry cake. 
8) Cool in pan for 30 minutes then invert onto a plate. 



         



No comments:

Post a Comment