Thursday 22 November 2012

Happy Thanksgiving + Apple Pie w/ Crumb Topping



Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I know we don't technically celebrate it in Bermuda but since I grew up in the US, I cook a dinner every year. Not only is it a time to enjoy some amazing food, it's a time to celebrate with good friends and family.

This year, I am thankful for my amazing boyfriend, my beautiful son, my wonderful friends and family and my kick ass job :). But seriously though, this has been a rough year and I am truly thankful for all the things God has blessed me with.

Tonight, I am having about 15 people over for dinner. I am making my herb roasted turkey which is hands down the best turkey ever. I'm also making a sweet potato gratin and a salted caramel apple cheesecake pie which I will post tomorrow. The rest of the menu is roasted veggies, mashed potatoes, vegetable lasagna, stuffing, dinner roast (a vegetarian meat), pumpkin pie, gingerbread and spinach artichoke dip for an appetizer. It will be epic!


But let's talk apple pie. I love apple pie as I've said before. And I make a pretty good pie. I prefer a crumb topping for my pie so that's what we have here. I made this for a pre Thanksgiving dinner on Sunday. The plate of food is from that dinner. I have been sick since Saturday so I used premade pie dough. Please don't judge me. I normally would make my own crust because it is wonderful, but I just didn't have the energy. So let's go.


Here's what we need:

For the filling
four to five apples diced (I used Granny Smith and Fuji)
two teaspoons cinnamon
one tablespoon flour
one pie crust (homemade or store bought)
1/4 cup brown sugar
pinch of salt

For the topping
1/2 cup to one cup flour
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
teaspoon salt
tablespoon cinnamon
one stick melted butter
1/4 cup rolled oats (optional)


Mix together all the ingredients for the filling until combined. Set aside.


This is what it will look like.


Unroll pie dough and carefully put into pie pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Crimp the edges with your fingers.


Fill with apples and put in fridge.


Mix together the dry ingredients for the filling with a fork and slowly add in half a stick of melted butter. If the mixture seems too wet, add more flour, about 1/4 cup at a time. You can add more butter as well but the crumb topping should not be wet. It should be course and crumbly. I used a whole stick of butter and added more flour until I was happy with the consistency.


This is what you want it to look like.


Take the pie out of the fridge and cover with the crumb topping. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45minutes. Check the pie around 25 minutes and if it is browning too quickly, cover loosely with foil. Let pie cool for 20 minutes.


Look, we made a pie! This pie is best served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Or cold, or room temperature or for breakfast :) Enjoy!

Apple Pie with Crumb Topping

Ingredients

For the filling
four to five apples diced (I used Granny Smith and Fuji)
two teaspoons cinnamon
one tablespoon flour
one pie crust (homemade or store bought)
1/4 cup brown sugar
pinch of salt

For the topping
1/2 cup to one cup flour
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
teaspoon salt
tablespoon cinnamon
one stick melted butter
1/4 cup rolled oats (optional)

Instructions
1) Mix together all the ingredients for the filling until combined. Set aside. 
2) Unroll pie dough and carefully put into pie pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. 
3) Crimp the edges with your fingers. 
4) Fill pie shell with apples and put in fridge. 
5) Mix together the dry ingredients for the filling with a fork and slowly add in half a stick of melted butter. If the mixture seems too wet, add more flour, about 1/4 cup at a time. You can add more butter as well but the crumb topping should not be wet. It should be course and crumbly. I used a whole stick of butter and added more flour until I was happy with the consistency.
6) Take the pie out of the fridge and cover with the crumb topping. 
7) Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45minutes. 
8) Check the pie around 25 minutes and if it is browning too quickly, cover loosely with foil. 
9) Let the pie cool for 20 minutes and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment