Wednesday 10 October 2012

Apple Pie Cake



I love apple pie, apple turnovers, apple tarts, apple crumbles, apple everything. When I was younger, my nana made pies all the time. Apple, pumpkin and lemon meringue. The only one I would eat was apple. When I started baking, I was a little scared of pies but have made a few apple pies in my day. My favourite it apple crumb pie.





The other day, I had a few apples in the house and wanted to make something with them but wasn't sure what. I can always eat an apple pie but I couldn't be bothered to make pastry so I figured I would try an apple cake of some sort. After doing some research, I came up with this cake. It's not a sweet cake so if you want it to be sweeter, you can add more sugar. I find it's the perfect cake to have with a cup of coffee or tea or with ice cream on top. And it certainly mimics the flavours of an apple pie.

So let's get started. Here's what we need:


1 1/2 cups flour + one tablespoon
1/2 cup sugar (put 3/4 cup if you want it sweeter)
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
one egg
3/4 cup milk
two teaspoons vanilla
two tablespoons brown sugar
one teaspoon cinnamon
two tablespoons vegetable oil
three apples ( I used Granny Smith and Fuji)


Peel and dice your apples.


Put in bowl and mix with brown sugar, cinnamon and one tablespoon of flour. Set aside.


Combine the remaining flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.


Whisk together egg, milk, oil and vanilla until comes together.


Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix together until combined.


Add more milk if the batter seems dry.


Fold in the apples. Spray a 9x13 or 9x9 baking pan with cooking spray and pour batter in. Bake for 30 minutes on 350 degrees.


Let cool for 30 minutes in pan.


Cut into squares. I drizzled a bit of salted caramel on the top of mine but you don't have to. It's good by itself. Enjoy!




Apple Pie Cake

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups flour + one tablespoon
1/2 cup sugar (put 3/4 cup if you want it sweeter)
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
one egg
3/4 cup milk
two teaspoons vanilla
two tablespoons brown sugar
one teaspoon cinnamon
two tablespoons vegetable oil
three apples ( I used Granny Smith and Fuji)

Instructions
1) Peel and dice your apples.
2) Put in bowl and mix with brown sugar, cinnamon and one tablespoon of flour. Set aside.
3) Combine the remaining flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
4) Whisk together egg, milk, oil and vanilla until comes together.
5) Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix together until combined.
6) Add more milk if the batter seems dry. 
7) Fold in the apples. Spray a 9x13 or 9x9 baking pan with cooking spray and pour batter in. Bake for 30 minutes on 350 degrees. 
8) Let cool for 30 minutes in pan and cut into squares. 


No comments:

Post a Comment