Wednesday 31 October 2012

Candied Ginger Molasses Cookies + My Halloween Look

Happy Halloween!
I do have an actual recipe to share with you today but first, I want to talk Halloween. I love Halloween because of the candy, the costumes and the makeup. Growing up, we had no parts of Halloween. My family was very Christian and to this day, my mother abhors anything to do with Halloween and calls it the devil's holiday. But like I said, I love it. 

I love to dress up, I love to eat copious amounts of candy corn and I love have scary makeup on. So let's talk costumes/makeup. Last year, I was Nicki Minaj. It was epic.





See, I told you! This year, I decided I was going to be a zombie bride. I would wear a white dress, dirtied up a bit with black eye shadow, wear black fishnets, create a veil of some sort and then get my sister to do my makeup. I was dressed and waiting for my sister to do my makeup when she decided nope, I wasn't going to be a zombie bride. She had this idea about a Mexican Sugar Skull. I knew what it was but wasn't confident in her skills but I said ok, go right ahead. 


This was the final look and I absolutely LOVE it! It was everything I would have wanted in a makeup look, scary yet sexy. Samaela did an amazing job. I ended up just throwing on a black dress, fishnets and black heels. I put a red rose in my hair was well. This was the perfect look for me. 


This is my lovely friend Phil in the background. He was a zombie doctor. It was awesome. 

OK, let's talk cookies.  I have to admit that I made two batches of ginger cookies that were horrible. It made me very upset. Ask my boyfriend.  I nearly gave up but saw this recipe and had to try it. They are chewy and crispy at the same time. And they are wonderful :)

These cookies are perfect for fall because they have a warm and spicy ginger packed flavour that I love. Not that it's fall here in Bermuda. It seems summer refuses to let go. 


Here's what we need:
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
one teaspoon cinnamon
two teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
one cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup unsulphured molasses
one large egg
one cup chopped crystalised ginger
granulated sugar for rolling cookies


Sift the dry ingredients together in a bowl and set aside. Cream the butter and brown sugar until fluffy, about two minutes.


Add egg and molasses to the bowl and mix for a minute or until combined. 


Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined. I forgot to take a picture but this is what it looks like. 


Chop the ginger and add to the bowl. Mix until just combined. 


Using a cookie or small ice cream scoop, scoop out batter and roll into sugar. Place on cookie sheet and flatten top with your hands. Refrigerate for 15 minutes then bake for eight to ten minutes. Be careful not to overbake. 


Put the cookies on a wire rack to cool. I got about 24 cookies but it depends on the size you want them. 


Enjoy!

Candied Ginger Molasses Cookies
makes 24

Ingredients
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
one teaspoon cinnamon
two teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
one cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup unsulphured molasses
one large egg
one cup chopped crystalised ginger
granulated sugar for rolling cookies

Instructions
1) Sift the dry ingredients together in a bowl and set aside. 
2) Cream the butter and brown sugar until fluffy, about two minutes.
3) Add egg and molasses to the bowl and mix for a minute or until combined. 
4) Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
5) Chop the ginger and add to the bowl. Mix until just combined. 
6) Using a cookie or small ice cream scoop, scoop out batter and roll into sugar. 
7) Place on cookie sheet and flatten top with your hands. 
8) Refrigerate for 15 minutes then bake for eight to ten minutes. Be careful not to overbake. 
9) Put the cookies on a wire rack to cool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment